Arkansas ranks 31st among the states in child homelessness, 43rd with risk for child homelessness and 49th for child wellbeing for health problems of children below poverty level.
- Children who are homeless are 4x more likely to show delayed development
- 2x as likely to have learning disabilities as non-homeless children
- By age of 12, 83% have been exposed to at least 1 serious violent event
- Almost 25% have witnessed acts of violence within their families
- Are sick 4x more than other children and have 5x more gastrointestinal problems
- Have high rates of obesity due to nutritional deficiencies
- Have 3x the rate of emotional and behavioral problems compared to non-homeless children
What do homeless children worry about?
- They worry about not having a place to live
- They worry that they will not have a place to sleep
- They worry that something bad will happen to their family and that their family will have to be separated.
- They worry that they will be hungry again
- They worry about whether or not they will ever be able to have a friend
So, we are glad to be a part of the team with Our House, Inc. and Nabholz Construction Services to build a new 20,000 square foot Children’s Center – just for children. A place where kids can be kids, a place to learn and grow and a place to help break the cycle of homelessness.